Exceptional property with high agricultural potential for sale in South France
- Bedrooms 7
- Bathrooms 7
- Floorplan 485m²
- Plot size 45ha
An exceptional property in the South of France.
Situated between a medieval town (Pézénas) and an ancient town (Agde), this estate is made up of buildings of sublime quality and with the uniqueness of the volcanic rock of Agde. It is surrounded by land of the highest agronomic quality. Indeed, it will be very easy to replant vines, especially white varieties such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon and Viognier, or market garden crops such as melons, asparagus, field tomatoes, among others. Moreover, the estate is located on the right bank of the Hérault river, so access to water is very easy. With more than 50 hectares in one piece, it is a rare land unit.
The history of the estate goes back to Gallo-Roman times, the first buildings are dated in 700, in the archives of Montpellier the property is mentioned in 922. After the French Revolution, it became the summer residence of the Bishops of Agde.
The current owners have wisely invested and made choices of exquisite taste in the layout and decoration of the rooms, to give an exceptional cachet to their home. The building is composed of several wings and interlocking buildings, which make each part unique.
Entering through a beautiful driveway into a sublime park adorned with two large fountains, the estate is a haven of peace with trees and sheltered from the mistral. The conservation and maintenance of the house are exceptional, including the decoration of the walls in frescoes and trompe l'oeil signed by an artist.
The total living space is 485 m2, including 7 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms and 6 guest toilets
The private garden, the swimming pool with its pool-house and glazed bar and dining room (winter veranda), lead to the master house. Arriving in a majestic hall which on the one hand leads us to the former Salle des Évêques, the cinema room and the old oven, we take the beautiful staircase to access the upper floors. This staircase shows the first example of the decor with sumptuous leaded stained-glass windows, which create a rainbow of light.
Due to its location in a large tourist area, being situated on the banks of the Hérault which can be travelled upstream by barge, and the uniqueness of this property, the possibility of developing hotel and reception activities is an asset to be taken into account, not forgetting its ideal position on the access routes to the beautiful towns of Cap d'Agde, Agde, Marseillan, Sète, Pézénas, Béziers and Montpellier.
- Swimming pool
- Gourmet lounge
- Chill out area
- Floorplan 485m²
- English-style lounge-bar overlooking the park
- Kitchen, which combines traditional and modern craftsmanship, with two accesses with sliding doors leading to the dining area
- Very large living room, where there is a sliding door leading to a hallway leading to a bedroom with its bathroom and separate toilet
- Staircase leading to the second floor, we access the relaxation areas Jacuzzi-Balneo Porcelanosa and Hammam, with separate toilet
- We return to the large living room and English bar, to take a footbridge over the hall, which leads to the two bedrooms, each with bathroom and toilet, One of the bedrooms opens onto the turret
- 2 bedrooms with shower rooms
- Bedroom with bathroom and separate toilet
- Large bedroom and its spacious bathroom
- footbridge that leads to two large rooms in the attic of the castle, which can be converted into a sports or games room, with access to the turret
- The wine cellar of 615 m² is equipped with enamelled concrete vats and traditional wine making tools, the roof is maintained and in good condition, not insulated.
- A 68 m2 flat in the cellar can accommodate seasonal staff and consists of a living room-kitchen, two bedrooms, shower room and WC.
- A house known as the winegrower's house with the offices and laboratory, and has an independent flat on two floors of 80 m2, consisting of a living room-kitchen, three bedrooms, a shower room, a WC and a laundry room.
The estate is located 5 minutes from the A9 motorway exit, near Pézénas and Agde, on the banks of the Hérault and Canal du Midi.
Similar properties for sale in France
- Constructed area 4,000m²
- Plot size 170ha
- Bedrooms 7
- Floorplan 1,700m²
- Plot size 40ha
- Floorplan 664m²
- Plot size 7,500m²
- Bedrooms 22
- Floorplan 1,000m²
- Plot size 50ha
- Bedrooms 4
- Constructed area 920m²
- Plot size 41ha
Sign in to MyLucasFox for advanced search features
You'll be able to save your favourite searches and properties, share links to your favourites with family and friends and easily request information on all your saved properties.Go to MyLucasFox
Important notice regarding the COVID-19 crisis
In accordance with government guidelines, Lucas Fox Property Lounges are now open. We are also carrying out viewings to our listed properties.
We are abiding by strict safety measures in order to prevent any potential transmission of COVID-19 and therefore clients are only able to meet with our agents by appointment only.
We have ensured that both our communal spaces and offices have been adapted to ensure the total safety of our clients and staff.
More information on our new practices can be found in our Lounges.